Good Post Bill,

Ammonia is not lifted and "de-gased" by aeration. It is taken care of indirectly by nitro sonoma and nitro bacter bacteria. (I learned that with my first aquarium when I was 10).

Dave, the surface of a lake can absorb over 0.2grams of oxygen per square meter per hour. Photosynthesis will add additonal oxygen too. These two points illustrate that almost any eutrophic lake can be 'aerated' by mearely 'circulating', wich uses much less energy than a floating surface aerator. By choosing a firm that not only manufactures quality equipment but also has the formulas, the practical experience, and the equipment to do the work with a cost within your budget, you will have a system that you will be happy with for many years to come.

A turnover rate of at least 0.75 times per day will satisfy the oxygen demand of most ponds and lakes. There are cases where heavier nutrient loading will reqiure higher rates. Roughly calculating, your pond contains 2,427,641 gallons. If for example you install one diffuser system in your pond, you will be turning over that volume about 2.2 times per day.

A simple 1/3 hp wobl piston compressor will cost you $24 per month at $0.07/KW Hour running 24 hours per day. You can run it at night only and as Bill mentioned, reduce the evaporation potential and reduce your electrical cost.

My concern is that the rotary vane compressors, (a good compressor) my be harmed by the start and stopping and pushing 7psi each time it has to start up. The compressor is like a plane lifting off, it is at full force until it reaches altitude (depth for the compressor) and then it backs off and levels out. The wobl piston compressor will be able to push up to 30 psi without any damage. The rotary is rated for continuous use at 10 psi and max at 15.

...My thoughts