I'm not advocating turning it on immediately 24/7 because not all ponds are the same, and not all pond owners monitor water temps AND O2 levels in their ponds. The bottom diffuser will homogenize the water temps in the pond, and bring O2 to the bottom with the mixing of the water column. If the water column is already mixed, then why not?

If water temps are warming up, and the surface water temp is in the low 40's with sufficient O2 at the pond bottom, I've started the summer diffuser up and not shut it off without any problems in my pond. Northern pond, not too long after ice off, O2 levels are good all the way to the bottom of the pond.

Running 24/7 puts less strain on the compressor. If the aeration system is designed for "X" amount of pond turnovers in a day, means that, a 24 hr day. If you can find lifting data on the home built systems, or pre-existing systems, then you should be able to get lifting rates in gallons per hour. Ponds should be turned at least once per day. Doing the calculations on the water volume in your pond can determine if running a partial day will give you enough "turns".

If you cannot find the data on your system to correctly calculate the number of turns, then I'd make the assumption that the ststem was designed to run 24/7. Not enough "turns" can actually increase the available Phosporous in the upper part of the water column, which will lead to more algae and plants growing.

kegger, you are correct if there is anerobic or anoxic water at the bottom of the pond in the spring, and the aeration system is turned on 24/7 you can pollute the whole water column.

Ted/Sue or anyone else, if I'm explaining this wrong, please correct me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).