New SMB Reproduction Pond continued...

Collection effort thought process:

I chose to install an 8" pipe, which may seem overkill, but wanted to ensure all fish could easily fit without injury, and also allow for fast draining.

Originally I thought I'd simply pull the standpipe and allow the pond to drain, water and SMB together. After speaking with Bob and Cecil, they both harbored concerns with the head pressure blasting the SMB into the holding tank or collection basin and causing injury. So, it seemed a good idea to control the head pressure by being able to adjust the draining with an adjustable standpipe. I left the 90 elbow and standpipe well greased and unglued to allow me to swing the standpipe incrementally beneath the pond surface, maybe 1 - 2 feet at a time. With this in mind, at draining time I'll close the gate valve, top the standpipe with a perferated cap to prevent any SMB from flowing through, swing the standpipe until it's 1-2 feet below the surface, then open the gate. I'll leave my extension on the backside to allow all that water to flow down into the draw of my main pond.

I'll repeat this process, 1-2 feet at a time, until I'm down to about 2' depth. At this point I'll shut the gate valve, remove the extension outflow pipe, and attach the 45 elbow to flow into my collection horse tank. I'll attach the extension flow pipe to the backside of the horse tank to allow overflow, then head back and remove the standpipe and 90 elbow from the pond bottom. All that's left to do at this point is open the gate valve and let it rip. The head pressure should be relieved and much less stress on the SMB headed to the collection tank. I'll go back topside with a net to collect any stranded SMB until the pond is drained. I'll leave the SMB YOY in the collection tank aerated until point of transfer with minimal handling stress as I will not have touched these fish 3-4x as in the past [seining, into buckets, sorted, then into tanks].

So far I've tested draining the pond and all has worked well. The only issues I'm anticipating are:

Standpipe removal - Drilling a 2" hole through the top of the pipe and gluing a 24" piece of 2" PCV to act as handles to allow me a grip to twist and remove.

Elbow removal - This could prove muddy and messy job - going to have to wrestle it until she's free - will be easier with the 90 to grab onto than the standpipe which allows no leverage without handles.

Collection tank - I was worried about pressing fish against the top net and outlet net, but I'm hopeful they'll keep low and out of current and suffer as little damage possible in the tank. I think the 8" drain pipe will prevent them from being pressed against the top netting, just worried about the outflow. I can control the flow with my gate valve and slow it down as much as necessary, however.

Josh, Steve, Bruce and Richard you're still free to come out during collection time, but you won't need your waders! Beers are on me. Feedback?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]