When I lived in Southern California, a VERY close friend and business partner of mine was riding in the desert with his 12 yr old son. They had all the protective gear - chest protectors, shin guards, gloves, helmets, etc., etc. Denny (the son) was in front and Steve was behind, dodging Dennys' dust cloud as they went down a dirt road. Not cross country, but not a real groomed road either. It was flat enough that cars could go down it, but it wasn't on any map. More like an improved fire trail, but in the desert.

Don't know how fast they were going. Denny saw the road washed out ahead due to a flash flood that came thru earlier in the month (water was gone, ewverything was bone dry, but it was a wide and deep wash-out) and turned. Steve didn't because of the dust cloud. He hit the other side of the washout and broke his neck. They were about 10 miles from camp. Just those 2 were out there. Denny had to leave his dad laying there and drive back to camp for help. I was told that Steve died instantly. Denny never rode again, and was still going thru counseling 4 years later when I moved back to Indiana.

Kenc, remember when you said the good die young? Steve was one of the good guys.

Another friend here in Indiana had a Kawasaki Enduro. He rode it to work, and did some minor trail riding. He was out riding by himself riding slow, when the bike took a turn, and went over, with his leg underneath. He said he went to drive over a small tree trunk that fell over the trail at an angle, and the front wheel turned to follow the tree instead of going up and over. Luckily he had his cell phone in his pocket, because it fell just right, breaking his leg. The bike was undamaged except for one broken mirror. He sold it after his leg healed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).