Originally Posted By: esshup
Tums, could you go into more detail about the "flash"? I'm not grasping it 100%.

Are you saying that the wall studs were "flashed" with a thin coat of closed cell foam before the drywall was installed"
Or was the whole wall stud and inside of the outside sheathing given a thin coat of the stuff?

The ceiling drywall and studs were sprayed with a very thin coat of Closed Cell Foam from the top before the bats were installed?

Flash basically means you run the foam sprayer across and it generally leaves a coatin of closed cell foam over .5" and up to 1" thick. The thickness depends on how fast the spray operator moves his hand.
Flashing the interior part of the stud from where it meets the OSB but not all the way out to where the drywall will meet the stud. Basically the sprayer is moved down the corner and held back far enough to spray the side of the stud and not the face. Studs transfer heat more the closer you get towords the exterior wall. It basically has the same effect as using a 2x6 stud to move your drywall farther away from the heat.
The ceiling drywall was sprayed from the top and the trusses and flooring was sprayed the same way as the wall was partially up the stud several inches for a good seal. The reason for doing this is ths same as the heat transfer will lose engery having to travel longer distances and slower via thru wood before influencing your internal enviroment. We even had inserted all of the fixtures and vents in the ceiling before spraying to get a good seal around those also. I put painters tape over the vent holes on the can lights to make sure they did not get plugged. Had even run all the electrical & wiring down the walls so all the holes going into the interior wall would be sealed as well. After the flash their we just simply blew in regular attic insualtion to what was normal for my area.

Cecil that is a very good Idea. Here we deal with cooling issues more months than we do heat. I raised my Metal roof an extra inch to give more ventalation air flow to cool between the metal roofing and the OSB. A house pretty much needs to be designed for its location and insulated well to be economical. It is easy to let the elements in when it is comfotable outside. If you can keep out the outside enviroment when is not helpful and economically control the internal enviroment at that time. It is a WIN, WIN.

Last edited by Tums; 03/08/13 04:31 PM.