Originally Posted By: brooktrout
Hey guys,

Back in June of 2012 I posted a topic regarding the construction of a small trout pond on my property. I wanted to divert a small stream into my pond and then discharge the water back into the stream. Many good comments were made and questions arose. I have not got most of those questions answered. Here is a summary.

The creek is considered a EV stream, which means I would need a DEP permit costing roughly 1750.00 if I wanted to dig a trench into the stream and use the water.

I would also need a DEP permit if the pond was within 50' of the stream due to FEMA's 100 year flood plain.

However, I spoke with someone from DEP on the phone and through E-mail and he stated that if I am 50' from the stream and as long as I do not break into the stream bank to feed my pond, I will need NO permits.

SO here is my thought process.

1. Keep the pond 50' away from stream.
2. Siphon the water from the stream using 4" pvc pipe or a 4" flexible house without breaking the ground. Then I would siphon water out of the pond and back into the stream in the same manner without breaking ground.

The DEP agent said this would not be an issue and I would need 0 permits.

So, Now to the good stuff.
How deep should I dig my pond to be able to hold trout year round? 8'??

Will a 4" pipe provide enough flow, oxygen, cold water to keep the pond cold enough for trout? The water temp of the stream is typically in the 50's and the pond will be well shaded.

I believe the soils I will be dealing with are all sandy/cobbles. I will need to inport clay or use a rubber liner. What is cheaper and what is "better"

Will I need to add a bubbler to the pond? If so, how do i get electricity to run it?

Thanks

MArk

4 inches may be just fine but keep in mind max flow rates given are for pressurized pipe and your flow will be gravity -- albeit a siphon. My pipe which is gravity flow from my well is 4 inch PVC and it pretty much fills the pipe at ~45 gpm.

Your depth of the pond depends on the flow. The more your flow the more water exchange and the less depth becomes an issue. I would shoot for at least one turnover per day of freshwater although mine is only 1/2 per day. You may not even need aeration if your turnover is good and your pond is not too deep.

Keep in mind siphons can be tricky. Get any air in there and the thing can gradually shut down. Been there done that with my early days with siphon and my recirc tanks. Keep both ends of the siphon below the water level at all times. If your siphon stops for any reason you may end up with some serious flooding. Also make sure you have something on the ends to keep fish in and out and to stop debris from entering the pipes. Also check periodically to make sure something doesn't come up against the ends of your pipes to block them.

Personally if it was me, and I wanted to do a siphon flow, I would use smooth bore pipe plumbed with a 't' and cap in the 't' to fill with a trash pump to get it started. There was a link here for Utube on draining a pond with a siphon. Perhaps someone here can find it?

Clay is usually cheaper but a good liner is reliable and less of a mess if done correctly and you don't mind spending the money.

Not sure trash fish would be that much of an issue in that cold of water. Perhaps darters etc. but most of the trash fish prefer much warmer water year around.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/13 11:03 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.