We are the new owners of a piece of property that holds a small (50x 130 or so, by my measurements) pond. We were told the pond was dug 10 or so years ago, and it was 8' deep at that time. Clay lined. Stocked with blue catfish, sun bellies and mosquito fish. We were advised that several years after it was dug, it turned over. Right now it is typical TX chocolate brown - water samples will clear with relatively small doses of gypsum, so we may do that in the near future.

The previous owner ran an extension cord from his house to a sump pump in the water (to aerate) as well as filling occassionally from his water well. Neither of those is a viable permanent option now, as the property on which the house and well sit was sold to another family. We own adjoining land, but the pond sits a long way from any available electricity on our property. (500+ feet, at least.)

With a pond this small, what sort of aeration should we be considering? Is a fountain - the way the sump pump was used - effective? Should I try to run electricity out there? We would prefer not to, if we can avoid it. Windmills seem to be out of favor, and since this is a semi-wooded, long overgrown pasture, I am not sure how much wind a windmill would catch. I've read here that air lines can be run quite a distance, but just how far is that? If that is an option, how do I figure out the size of compressor I will need? Is there some sort of formula (distance / diameter / amount of air) that I can refer to?

Thanks for any and all help,

Linda