Hi ewest, the DO then is not so much the issue, it is the cold h2o? I know the metabolic rate of the fish slow in the cold water and does their ability to sense the low o2 diminish too? I guess what I am asking is, what are the dynamics that would prevent the fish from moving to the areator area where the o2 is probably higher in the above mentioned lake example(cold water)?

esshup stated:
Aerating part of the lake might do more harm than good. Fish near the diffuser should survive, and fish away from the diffuser might die. They don't know to swim towards higher O2 levels, I can attest to that from winterkill in a clients pond last year.......

I guess I am a bit confused. I have read that in some cases large ponds,irregular pond shapes,larger and smaller lakes may need more than one aeration heads to promote circulation in areas not effectively circulated. SO, if the fish will move, why not have just one aeration station with a head(s) that will circulate the water in the time frame required and the fish can just move into that area.
I know what assuming does, but here are the ideas that pop into my head. When water is cold, the fish will not move to the aerated area because they are to sluggish/dormant,too far to go, or something like that. In the warmer weather I do not have any idea why a fish would not move to a aerated area of the pond/lake if o2 is low in another area. Just trying to figure it out/understand.

I understand sometimes "it depends" and I get that now. Maybe this is one of those cases where I just do not have enough knowledge to be able to figure it out, just yet,and I just need to keep on reading.

Last edited by mpc; 03/06/13 06:15 PM.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.