Hi Rick. So, you're right down in the river valley. That's what worried me in my first response -- pretty darn warm in the summer. My brother's place is west of Wheatland, but he's up near the top of the Laramie range.

My concern over summer aeration was that you might mix any potential warm and cool water layers, and not have a coolwater refuge for the trout in the summer. Once summer water temps get to 70 F or so, you can start to have some summerkill on trout. Both temperature and dissolved oxygen are involved in the likelihood of summerkill.

I think we need some expert advice here. I'll let you decide: either you or I should contact one of the fisheries biologists who work for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department there in Casper. One of my former students is stationed there.

Scott Gangl
Phone: (307) 473-3415
Fax: (none)
Email: scott.gangl@wgf.state.wy.us
Wyoming Game and Fish Dept
3030 Energy Lane, Ste 100
Casper, WY 82604

If you want to e-mail or call him, I think that would be fine. However, it would be my pleasure to make the initial contact for you. Either way, he can tell you if your pond will likely be suitable for trout.

Good luck,
Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.