Originally Posted By: kenc
Ken, are you sure you pulled it 1200 or so ft. in the ground? A raceway is a lot different then the ups and downs that is due to unlevel surfaces. To go that far would you have to use 3 nu.6 copper wires or would something else work? Blair, you could do it in shorter runs. The electric companies here use 2 1/2 in. pipe when they bury the pipe but they usually just bury the wire as is. We have had 2 to fail on rental homes over the past few years.

I've contracted, and personally pulled wire and cable of many types through pipes, hose, conduit, stuffing tubes, and raceways. I've pulled under parking lots, under highways, in high rise buildings, and on many many small and large ships, including the USS Ranger, USS Enterprise, and a lot of others. I don't know what the longest runs have been, but many have far exceeded a 1000 feet -- many times in conduits that were already nearly full. It has not always been easy, but it can almost always be done. One of the worst problems includes kinks at elbows in small conduits that are already beyond capacity.

If nothing exists under a structure, road, parking lot., etc, you get a contractor with horizontal underground boring equipment from manufacturers like Ditch Witch, Vermeer, Flow Mole, etc.

A single cable, in a much larger pipe, with adequate lubrication and something like http://www.eaccu-tech.com/installation-s...0-lbs-strength/, as mentioned by Blair, such a pull should not be a significant issue.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!