I am seeking suggestions on aeration of our pond. We purchased our property last winter, and the pond on the property is 280-300 yards from our home (electric source). It is a 3/4 acre pond and approx 14 ft deep. Was dug approx 20-30 years ago, and has never had any type of aeration, dye, etc put in it.

We seem to have healthy fish. 18-22 inch LM Bass and good size sun fish as well. And 5-6 channel cat that we have seen. There is very minimal algea/vegitation growth. The pond has raised banks and wind moves the surface of the water quite a bit on its own.

But oh the black muck is aweful! And after swimming in it this past summer we definately have a thermocline as well.

My question is since the pond seems to be doing a pretty good job of maintaining itself, can we simply use a windmill aerator? It would not create as much water movement or bubbles and an electric compressor, but I dont think that we need anything extreme. And since the pond is on a hill 5 out of 7 days of the week there is a strong breeze moving.

Or if we do go with an electric compressor, would it be best to run power to the pond, or keep the compressor at our house and run air line to the pond? At the moment we do not have any other intentions to construct or add anything else to the pond that would require electricity.

Just looking for some simple advice smile Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
Winter 12-13.jpg
Last edited by Mackie; 02/22/13 01:48 PM.