Originally Posted By: Louis Morales
You know, maybe it is a coincidence, but the algae started getting worse about 2 yrs after I got the grass carp. There are about 20 or so very large ones now (about 12-15 lbs). Will plan to remove them and clean any dead algae after I drain. Will spray with the Cutrine plus. Don't know about the Tilapia - will have to look into that. Thanks for all the input. That will help me get started and hopefully I can get a handle on this.

From above:

I believe that your nutrient problem is made worse by the fact that you have grass carp in the pond. Grass carp recycle nutrients very fast as the plant material they eat goes through their digestive system. (Similar to Canadian Geese here in Ohio). Here is an article that will confirm my comments.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/pdf/0019.pdf

P.S. Louis, draining your pond is no guarantee against re-infestation from FA algae. There are many, many, "spores" left behind that you will never be able to eliminate 100%. I would purchase a bag of Cutrine Granules and spread them over the pond before the FA algae floats to the top. Controlling the FA algae early on the bottom of the pond where it begins it's lifecycle is the key. After you use the Cutrine Granules, you then may want to think about adding a gallon of Aquashade.....(note: it is important to wait about 2 weeks after you treat the pond with the Cutrine Granules before you add the Aquashade.

I would NOT replace any of the amur in the pond for the above reasons mentioned.

Jeff Gray (Aquatic Biologist)
"Jack of All Trades.....Master of Some"