Ken, I've never figured out why people so often take the toilet paper and light bulbs. And, these are really nice houses.

When a new tenant comes in, everything works and everything is clean. There are fresh rolls of TP, a new roll of paper towels, all light bulbs work and the lawn is freshly mowed and edged. I have started deducting the cost of TP and bulbs from deposits when people move out. If it needs mowing and edging, I also deduct that.

When they move in, we do a walk through and I note every potential issue. I even open the oven to show that it is clean. I tell them that I deduct cleaning expenses, if needed, from their deposit when they move. Want a cat or dog? Put up an extra $1,000 pet deposit per animal. I have learned the hard way.

Most of the renters that I have dealt with are living "hand to mouth". When they lose their job, I try to work with them. I do not enjoy conflict and I understand that these things happen.

However, when somebody tells me that their Grandmother in North Carolina died and they had to use the rent $ to go to the funeral, I go from zero to sixty in a heckuva hurry. That's when they find a new place to live or come up with the rent in 3 days. I've heard that story too many times.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP