Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
They worked very well for me last year, and I highly recommend them for any bare earth. Very little rye float after they're laid.

a bit of thread drift here...but since we are talking "bare earth", "rye grass", ect....

has anyone had much luck "planting" wild flowers?

are some wild flower seeds basically "just throw them out"
and they'll grow?....or do you have to till or plant all of them?

I would love to have a bunch of wild flowers growing at our gate and fence as you drive up....but I'm too lazy to plant them one by one.

something like this would look cool...

I did that on the back of my dam last spring, it made a fantastic show! Different flowers peak at different times of the year.

The best service and prices:
www.americanmeadows.com

A couple of points:
I got enough seed for about an acre or so, it comes in a fairly heavy box. I would recommend getting the hand seed-spreader as getting even coverage by hand is tough, and yard spreaders don't seem to like the mixed shapes of the seeds.
Use a landscape rake after sowing or the birds will devastate your seeds if sitting on the surface. Many wildflower seeds do prefer being very close to the surface, so a little raking will do.
Get the mixes for your region. It will contain both annuals and perennials. It will also give you the best chances of finding a plant that really likes your local conditions. For example I thought Lupins would be nice, but they simply HATE my soil type. Too basic for them. Instead Indian Carpets, Bachelor Buttons, Cone flowers (black-eyed Suzanns), and cosmos thrive.
If wanting to prevent erosion, wildflowers probably are not your best bet, but better than nothing. They do NOT form dense root systems or vegetation like grass and some ground covers. If you need to stop erosion, grass is king.

In my case, I wanted the dang flowers. The local flower shop will be visiting next summer in return for a few free arrangements.

Fall Dam Flowers

Here's a sample - more pictures there in the above link.

Last edited by esshup; 02/18/13 11:58 PM. Reason: added a few pictures