Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Here's what we did to stock Richmond Mill Lake.
Coppernose bluegills from three sources including one from Alabama and two from Arkansas.
Northern strain bluegills from two sources, one in Arkansas and one in Oklahoma.
Redear sunfish from Arkansas.
Some could certainly be intergrades. Some are not. Some are coppernose. Some are northerns. When I electrofish, we always capture some small ones with that telltale bright colored copper tail. As they grow, the colors turn darker for some reason.
The water in Richmond Mill Lake is tannic, rich tea-color and fast flowing. Sunfish in there are always dark.

Bob,George:

Are the colors typically lighter of the coppernose gills in clear water? I ask this because this thread now has my gears turning.

Now that I have three recirculating system tanks running going on five, I could get my hands on some coppernose from Arkansas as one of my aquaculture directors picks up northern strain bluegills and other species several times a year down there. I'm sure he could pick me up some coppernose.

I still can't produce enough 1 pound and over bluegills to fill the demand for my taxidermy market and the controlled conditions of recirculating tanks are looking better

Cecil, sorry I missed your post.
I would carefully research availability of pure Florida CNBG from Arkansas fish farms.
PM sent.

I agree with Cody and Ewest about BG color changes and cream-colored fin tips.
Do you think it would be feasable to place a few of the RM lake BG monsters in a clear water tank and see if the dark colors change – it’s very difficult for me to distinguish pure CNBG characteristics of the dark fish.

The second photo in Eric’s post is my CNBG, and the otherCNBG photo are several generations old – Overton is now selecting brood stock that have redder tails and fewer and broader vertical stripes.
http://www.overtonfisheries.com/StockerFish/SportFish/CoppernoseBluegill/tabid/68/Default.aspx

George

Last edited by george1; 02/16/13 09:21 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)