I know this doesn't really answer the question. But, when I was still really young and dumb, going to college and holding down three jobs -- one of which included "fishing guide" -- I found that it was best to only take clients to places where there were lots of great fish that you could catch.

Because of licensing and travel-time restraints to make money, I was restricted to northeastern Minnesota and northern Wisconsin, even though I had easy access to Upper Michigan, lower Ontario, and eastern Manitoba. So, I made the best of it.

Nearly every great fishing area that I knew in that area, from the mid-1950s to the early-1970s, has changed considerably in recent decades for many good and bad reasons.

Yet, I would not rule out the mouth of St. Louis River between Duluth, MN, and Superior, WI. With a good guide, on a well equipped small boat, you can bring in an incredible number of great walleye. With the right guide, you can experience sturgeon that will make you swell with goose bumps when you bring one aboard. With the same guides (mainly out of Barkers Island, Superior, WI) you can go out into Lake Superior for lake trout and a variety of different salmon.

The entire northern Wisconsin, northeastern Minnesota, southern Ontario, and eastern Manitoba waters will bring experiences for trout of many kinds, salmon, walleye, northern pike, natural and tiger musky, sturgeon, lawyer (burbot to the rest of you), smallmouth bass, jumbo yellow perch, and fish you never thought you would experience or even imagine -- like big white fish and cisco.

Darn. I was just called to dinner -- it's chicken!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!