So I have this pipe dream of building a half acre pond on my 3.5 acre piece of wooded property. The main reasons I would like the pond are for a "water feature", basically to look at and accent the property as well as a place for the dog to swim and for furture kids to play. My big debate is are those two reasons worth the potential cost?

As for the site, currently its wooded and swampy, the house is set up about 40 feet on a hill and the area where the pond will go is mucky and wet. right now its a mosquito infested area and im hoping building a pond will make it easier to control them.

There is currently a very small seasonal brook that runs along the property. and connects the wet lands behind my house to a small fire pond across the street, which leads to a larger pond down the road. Im fairly certain that the soil can hold water due to the swampyness.

From reading here its not as easy as digging a hole in the ground and letting it fill with water, but I am hoping thats all I will need to do.

I attached 3 photos, one is an overall that shows the abuters and other local ponds, On the closeup, i sketched in the contours of the land (the pond/swampy area is currently the low area of the land)The potential pond area is currently swampy, but not listed as wetlands. I also attached a picture of the typical conditions.

Would it make sense to tap into the seasonal brook for water or isolate the pond from it? Im thinking I can clear the land myself and then just hire someone to come dig a hole and build up the land to form a small dam to contain the water.

I guess my real question is, how much, ball park, would it cost to have someone one come in and excavate a half acre hole about 4-5 feet deep, the excavated soil could be used around the site, Im thinking no additional fill would be needed and none would need to be removed from the property.

Attached Images
overall.jpg closeup.jpg 20120812_115337 (Medium).jpg