Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I learned a great deal about my ponds AND my fish last year, and I think I'm a better angler now because of it.

this is probably what i like most about hitting my dad's pond in the winter. With the aquaview and the vexilar, and simply the drop-weight, you can spot where all the structure is, find the deep wells, etc. and, you can spot where it is that your fish like to hang out, how they react to different vertical presentations, etc.

Originally Posted By: the stick
My theory is that no fish is worth a dunking in 32 degree water.

truer words are rarely spoken. I took some stupid risks in my day, and even though i have never dunked, i regret having gotten close to it.

yes, to the question at hand, it is very possible to fish "transitional" waters. a few years back, before i discovered this forum, my friends and I just dragged my dad's paddleboat out a few yards, drilled holes around it and fished. We set up an extension ladder to walk back and forth from the boat to the pier, and we had a few wooden planks leading from the boat out to the open water. It was a great combo of ice fishing, cold water fishing, and engineering.

stay safe.
-skinny

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.