I would hope that a lot more of this experiment will be document and published here, whether successful or not.

We have many examples of good and bad, where fish and amphibians have transitioned from one to the other.

Striped bass are probably the best known successful accidental examples I know of, where a saltwater/brackish/freshwater fish has succeeded in a singular freshwater habitat without serious problems.

But, growing up on the Great Lakes when they opened to ocean-going ships via the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Great Lakes have been invaded by many problematic saltwater invasive species via ballast. These diseases and critters, like zebra mussels and lamprey eels, have since invaded inland freshwater lakes and streams in the Great Lakes states, which has made life miserable for our friends in those states. Because of this, it is illegal to move bait, fingerlings, etc., across county and state borders. Just moving a boat or boat trailer from one water body to another has become an issue.

Those of us involved in professional agriculture/aquaculture/aquaponics are constantly reminded and trained in bio-security. I would hope that experiments such as this are taking serious bio-security precautions.

A major concern I have about this experiment is that it doesn't result in another out-of-control invasive species.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!