Originally Posted By: ewest
I have to constantly remind myself the importance of acknowledging that we have very few answers and a whole lot to learn. An open mind is essential. That means thinking outside the box that is created in ones mind. Go for it Bruce - I bet the pics will tell the story.

Thanks, ewest. The number one reason I love this site is so many people willing to think of new ideas.

Essentially I'm working off of this premise...

IT IS IMPRACTICAL TO BUY ENOUGH ADULT FISH TO SIGNIFICANTLY ALTER EXISTING PONDS WITH ESTABLISHED APEX PREDATORS.

i.e. If you have a six acre pond with lots of largemouth, and you want to introduce redears, it's expensive to buy enough adults to avoid predation and establish new populations. So we can benefit from creating methodology to raise some of our own "on site". That's where the outdoor cage production, and indoor tank culture become potential tools. My goal is to find ways to make this economical, both in terms of time and money. It's a long process, but I think I'm onto some possibilities. This will make for a good story, I think.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.