Originally Posted By: Jwwann
We have poilice watching in most public places, why not have some patrolling the halls of schools?

There are at least 100,000 schools in the nation not counting the separate buildings on the campuses. Sounds like a daunting task to me, but then again if it's done from the local level...

I found this food for thought from another forum I frequent:

The Violence Policy Centre said that Columbine High School in Colorado had armed law enforcement agents on call when two teenagers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, embarked on a shooting spree in 1999. The agents were unable to prevent the deaths of 12 students and one teacher. They were "outgunned by the assault weapons wielded by the two teens", the VPC said.
Similarly, Virginia Tech had armed police on campus who were unable to prevent the deaths of 32 people in a mass shooting in 2007.

Cost

At a time when the US is trying to reduce government spending, the move would present a further bill to taxpayers, potentially running into billions of dollars. There are some 98,817 public and 33,366 private schools in the US, according to the department of education.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average pay for a police officer is $55,010 per annum.
In that case, a crude estimate for the overall bill for the placing of an armed guard in every US school could be as much as $7.2bn. If the government only had to cover public schools, the total could be a minimum of $5.4bn.
Even if the NRA was to claim that such officers could be redeployed during the summer break, it would still mean that the equivalent of around 74,000 positions would need to be filled – at a cost of $4.1bn

Funny we can fund far off wars but we can't fund our own defenseless children. Oh the irony.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/21/12 09:44 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.