I've been reading through the forum for homemade aeration systems trying to get some good ideas for my pond that's about 3/4 acre with a max depth of 7'. Running electricity to it is out of the question and I'm not paying an arm and a leg for a commercial solar system. My idea that I've come up with is to utilize a 1/4 hp gast pump rigged to a 30-45 watt solar panel, battery, and 75 watt inverter. Through some quick internet search schooling I've come up with these calculations (please correct/advise/tell me I'm stupid if I'm totally wrong). Wattage for the pump equates to 63.25w (115 x .55) totaling 13.2 amps per day (.55x24). A 75 watt inverter (thinking this is sufficient) would draw .625 amps (75/120) and 15 amps per day (.625x24). Searching solar panels I've found a site stating a rule of thumb for expected daily amp yield to be rated wattage divided by 3 for southern U.S. areas. Therefore a 45 watt panel would yield an avg 15 amps per day. My first question is whether to include both the pump and the inverter's power draw or solely the inverter in calculating total draw on the battery. I would think the inverter is simply drawing and converting power while passing most of it along to the pump but my ignorance has got me stuck on this question. If I only account for the inverter's draw of 15 amps per day that would mean a 45w solar panel can supply just enough maintaining power. If I have to account for both the pump and inverter then I'd need to increase my solar wattage i.e. more money that I'm trying to avoid. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I'll take any advice both good or bad but I'd like to think I can make this work.

Thanks

Alan