Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Have you thought about installing a little solar setup to provide power and keep batteries topped off? Perhaps run some lights on and off at irregular rates to give some illusion that someone is there?
We had a solar system.... they stole it!

Originally Posted By: esshup
JHAP, if they want to get in, they will. A friend had one of those ocean transport containers dropped on his property and he used it for storage. He lived about 100 miles away. He put one of those "uncuttable" padlocks on it and felt secure. Somebody stopped by that has a cutting torch, torched the lock off and cleaned him out. ATV, all the implements to maintain his food plots, riding mower, weed whacker, tree stands, etc., etc.
That is an unfortunate reality. Heck if they wanted into either the Ag Building or Tool Shed bad enough they could take a chain saw and cut right through the walls - that happened to one of my clients a few years back. Someone cut a 4' x 4' hole in the wall of one of his buildings and cleaned him out.

Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
The thing that makes rural security more difficult is access. There are so many places that somebody could get access through. I've tried to figure out how to handle many of the same issues you all have talked about, but it's far more difficult than in an urban environment.I'm leaning towards a battery powered self contained system that would operate even if the phone lines were cut.
I agree. Remote properties with a lack of power make for a tempting target.

I know I cannot prevent this from happening however I am just going to try to make it as difficult as possible so that my property is less desirable than others.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)