Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I'm not absolutely sure of anything Cecil and sadly don't trust many people anymore. This neighbor has had stuff stolen from his property as well and has set up an elaborate security camera system on his property (he has power at his place). He was the one that heard noises, called us, called the Sheriff and offered us any help he could. He has even gone so far as to offer to let us run a camera off of his system to our property if we purchased the cable and camera. I am looking into this alternative - we would have to run about 1,000 feet of cable but it might be worth it.

Instead of him running a camera, could you run a quick power source from his place to set up something of your own. Throw him a few bucks a month for the electric.

A few years ago, I was having some items stolen from my yard/business. It is too costly for a camere system to cover everything and fencing it in was too far reaching. So I started to look into alternatives. Apparantly you can set up an item that was refeed to earlier as a "honey pot". There was a company that sold a small tracking box that you would hide on the item. Battery operated. If the item was stolen, you would call the company up and they could tell you exactly where it was. Much like what alot of cars have on them today. The police go to where the item is, and if it is in a house they can't enter without probable cause. The company then turns on a siren inside the box when the police are there, and hopefully the end of story... If I recall correctly, it wasn't that badly priced.

Sorry for the grief. My folks got burglarized when were kids. They never really got over it. Always on their mind when leaving, couldn't relax on vacations, etc, etc.