Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Shorty, the aquatic plant communities are pretty diverse. I think one of my students has a plant survey report. If I can get a copy, I could email that to you?

That would work, even just a short summary of what is most abundant in the Sandshill lakes would work. I have to admit that I have never fished any of the Sandhill lakes. blush

Just from observing my dad's old pond for 22 years my gut feeling is that just having somewhat stable weed densities from year to year, no matter what type, are extremely important in keeping fish populations in balance. When weed densities suddenly and drastically change things tend to get out of balance quickly. I used to base how many LMB we needed to cull every year primarily on how well the milfoil/coontail treatments went. If the weeds got knocked back hard, then it was time to get agressive culling LMB. I will also say that winter ice cover, or the lack of it, and how long it lasts does play a role in weed densities the following summer.

IMHO aquatic vegetation is some of the best fish habitat there is, I would rather have it present than not.