Likewise.

I did get poor treatment once from a fellow vet once believe it or not. Years ago when I was in the ANG I went to a place for vets to see if I could get some training to increase my job prospects. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not entitled to anything as I had never served active duty. The guy was really nasty about it even though technically I was a veteran according to the government.That's what I got for being part of a unit that was awarded the top Air National Guard unit of the country. I should have pushed it but I found something else.

Ironically just a few years later during the Iraq war, casualties and deaths were up to 1/3d higher for deployed National Guard troops due vs. regular military. So much for looking down on NG troops.

My unit was the 122nd CAMS of Ft. Wayne, IN, and even though they were Air Force fighter jet squadron they got convoy duty in Iraq. I was no longer enlisted by then as my six years were up in 92'.

Didn't want to take this off thread, but keep in mind that National Guard troops have made a big sacrifice in the last two wars and still are. During the Vietnam era there were SOME that joined the NG to avoid a Vietnam deployment but that definitely not the case now. It's won't get you out of anything now and might even make you more likely to be deployed in a combat zone!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/11/12 10:04 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.