Originally Posted By: kenc
Rainman, I do believe that you could make good money selling these fish up north. Do you have any you could market as flaming reds or flaming pinks. These people have plenty of disposable income as they usually don't have college costs to worry about. You also might want to try your luck with gerbils as they were very popular personal pets A few years ago. Just something to think about. It might beat sleeping in a cold truck with a hound dog.

I had to laugh at this post because I was recently shipped a painting done by a friend when I jokingly said I need a painting of a "Flaming-A$*ed Tilapia...

I have added some Reds with my deliveries to distributers as "extra" fish...Many look similar to Koi in the bright colors, yet they grow slowly and do not perform as well as Blues..more of a novelty so customers can see fish. I have also selectively bred some Pure Strain Blue tilapia albinos that are easier to see. The downside is, they are easily seen by herons as well.

As to "making good money", consider the fuel and equipment expense of a 1000 mile transport...Some used "food fish" stock, sold at lower prices, and had very mixed, often very poor results this year from reports I received...so value is reletive.