Guys,

Have a few questions ...

I've posted in the past about damage to my dam from a recent muskrat problem. I've gotten rid of all of the varmits, and have dug out and repacked with new clay the damage done. The water level has not risen above the repairs so i am not sure at this point if the repairs worked.

However, after reading numerous forum comments I am convinced my dam is not wide enough (only 5 ft across in some areas with almost no backside to the dam) and was thinking of using the muskrat holes (i have had leaks in the dam from the muskrats) as a reason to drain the pond, clean it out (probably has 2-3 feet of muck), dig it deeper in a few areas, and then repack the inside of the dam with new clay (maybe add about 2-3 ft to the width of the dam).

My thought was to dig a trench just south of the dam (along the deepest part of the pond) and let the water drain into the ravine behind the pond.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions based on your experiences if my thought process is sound or am i getting ready to make a big mistake. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Army Rangers Lead the Way...

“You've never lived until you've almost died. For those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.” ~ unknown soldier