Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: Tums
Crappie is the reason why I came to PB. I am very interested in which hybrid that is and what the stocking rates and harvest rates are. I am looking at putting Crappie in a 3 acre pond. The idea is it will be pretty heavily fished by children and handicapped as a public service.

Tums...I have learned on PondBoss that crappie as a general rule are a "No-No" in private ponds because they interfere with bass and other species. However I love crappie and think they are so much prettier than bluegill...so I just wanted to give the hybrid crappie a try in small numbers. I am hoping the hybrid crappie can alleviate or greatly lessen some of the problems associated with crappie in ponds. We'll see....

Todd Overton is a highly respected fish guy here in Texas and he owns Overton's Fisheries. This is what Todd's website says about the "hybrid crappie"...

The Hybrid Crappie (Black/White Cross) are finally available as an option for stocking crappie in smaller lakes and ponds. Traditionally crappie have not been recommended for stocking in less than 10-15 surface acres due to their potential to overpopulate. The spawning potential of hybrid crappie is greatly reduced compared to that of their white and black crappie counterparts, so they are a better option for small waters. Suggested stocking rate is 100-150 per surface acre. Ideal forage for crappie are minnows and threadfin shad.

http://www.overtonfisheries.com/StockerFish/SportFish/HybridCrappie/tabid/337/Default.aspx

Thanks, I guess I will give Overton a call one day soon and pick his brain also. I am not concerned with the crappie "NO-NO" as much as I am geting a high number of productive size fish for people to have fun harvesting.