This will be my last post on the CNBG brood pond project til next spring, when I seine the pond and check the results. It has been a great experience, and far exceeded my expectations. I already have a nice mix of stocked and YOY CNBG.

Here’s some of what I learned during this project:

1) Patience. I tended to micromanage this pond because of the size, and that was a mistake. I forgot that things take time, and the ability to wrap myself around this small pond made me impatient.

2) Food size. There is a difference in pellet size when one’s trying to raise fish. I started out only using Aquamax 500, and really didn’t get the results I wanted. When I started feeding Aquamax 400, the water boiled and the 1-3” CNBG really started eating. Matching pellet size to the fish you’re targeting is just smart.

3) Purpose of feeding. If you’re feeding in an area to attract fish, that’s different than feeding fish to grow them. I learned this in my big lake when phosphorus waste became an algae issue. The 15 minute rule does apply, but so does the amount of food that may be missed and float to the bank. Don’t over feed. If you're feeding in an area to attract fish, then less food is necessary.

4) Bank slope. Having the banks sloped a little more than needed, greatly reduced the emergent weed issue. Weeds like Primrose really stay pinned to the bank, and can be controlled with a rake only.

5) Not all weeds are bad. My Primrose is a cheap, controllable source of protection for the fry. I found no reason to over control it.

6) Build down not around. The weather patterns over the last few years have proven to me that the spring rains are the primary catch period. Unless things change, building a project ½ acre that has an average depth of 8’ may be better than a 1 acre lake with an average depth of 5’.

7) A great dirt guy is not the same as a great pond builder. I am extremely lucky to have a great dirt guy. Having said that, I compromised on decisions I wanted, and it was a mistake on my part, not his.

8) Spend the money up front. It’s far cheaper to dig, or change a pond, before you add the water.

9) Small ponds are greatness. The enjoyment level far exceeded my expectations.

10) Educate yourself before starting. That’s what Pond Boss is about, and searching, researching, and heeding the experts’ advice was the best thing I did. I took time to educate myself before digging, and it really paid off in time and money. A clear and defined goal helps tailor the results.

11) Fertilize. Because of the small size of the pond, I could see immediate results when I fertilized. I only had to use a gallon and a half of fertilizer for the year. The fish loved it, and the weeds hated it. Keeping my water clarity at 12-24” kept weed problems in check, and the foundation of the food chain rolling along nicely.

12) Stock Smart. Buy your brood fish from a reputable hatchery, even if a road trip is involved. This is your primary time to control trash fish, so don't assume your buying what you want. There are several hatchery guys that post here, so seek them out.

13) Kabota’s don’t float. My Dad who’s nearing 80 proved this, and confirmed it 3 more times this year.

AL