Originally Posted By: esshup
Do they do portable Rhino Lining???

Yeah, you can get portable Urethane coatings done. I know an Aquaculture system mfg in MD that uses the Rhino Lining type stuff on all their tanks and equipment.

Urethane coatings are quite common practice in the potable water storage tanks for cities. Ya ever seen them big round balls on the top of a column a couple hundred feet up? They pump the water up in them things and gravity feed down to the users below.

I had the bed in my truck lined with Rhino Liner. Except for some razor sharp stainless I was hauling one day, not hardly a scratch in it.

A while back I was thinking of getting my 1200 gallon RAS tanks lined with Urethane. (when I build them) The guy who did my truck bed said no problem, I would just have to bring them in. That's just an unnecessary added expense. A good quality Sherwin Williams Epoxy will last just as long because the tanks will be inside and not exposed to UV.

I've used some cheap epoxies in the past, I'll fork out the few extra dollars for the good stuff.

If you buy a culvert today, look at getting a poly laminated galvanized, if it is in a structural/supporting application.

The epoxy/urethane combo would probably be a reasonable solution if the price were right.

Another thing to look at is Cold Galvanizing compound. It comes in spray cans. Not sure how long it will actually last. When I worked as an Iron Worker (years ago) that was an approved method for touching up galvanized structures that had to be welded on. (I hate welding galvanized sick )

It may just buy you some time (stopping the rust, bonding with the zinc...) until you come up with a more suitable solution.

I've worked with some extremely flammable military adhesives. Flash points just above freezing, applied it at 120F (you needed to heat this up so it would even flow) Cold Honey would be a close description of the consistency, but a bit worse. Then, run it thru an easy bake oven for 90 seconds at 450F.

Potential Fireball, Yep! Glad my math skills were up to par before I took on this project laugh

BTW, you could be exposed to the vapors of this stuff for 5 minutes and not be back to earth for quite a while. 15 minutes, and you would not pass a field sobriety test. If you just came from concentrated exposure, you could blow a BAC over legal and get taken to the shop for further examination shocked Pretty nasty stuff!

I asked a guy who worked there why he puts up with the conditions. He said it was a job, and thanked the Lord he had a job, and was not in prison. (this was in one of their other plants that should be demolished)

When I closed my shop. I had a 1 gallon sample of this stuff left, that I got to mess with. Never opened it. It cost me 650.00 at the time to get rid of it, and could have incurred further charges based on lab work and how to deal with it. I am betting that the lab workers all got stoned and forgot about me laugh laugh wink

I wonder what ever happened to that other gallon of this stuff that a guy from Detroit picked up and was supposed to send a smaller sample to the parent company in Germany to see if they could even spray it. Never did get a response back! Hey, As long as I am not in possession of this stuff grin

Last edited by JKB; 10/12/12 05:50 PM.