Bruce:

Sorry I haven't imposed already; I have been busy diagnosing problems with our domestic water well system and installing several replacement parts including a new submersible pump. (What's the emoticon for irony?)

You've got good advice already; your job could be performed by either a submersible pump or by a shallow well, non-submerged pump, since you are under the 32 foot limit for lifting water.

I have little experience with sump-pumps (designed & placed the house to use gravity drains on the basement) but I borrowed one off my Father-in-Law once for temporary use in a shallow well that would move a lot of water up the height you need. If it was my project, I would be sure and compare the prices/GPM capacities/HP ratings of submerged, shallow well (impeller), and sump pumps. I don't know anything about shallow-well jet pumps.

It is my belief that the lowest HP rated pump which will handle your requirements will be the most cost effective. It should have the lowest initial cost, of course; in absence of a motor efficiency expert (which I am not) I would guess it's electricity consumption would be roughly equivalent or less than higher HP pumps.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]