There is substantial uncertainty and differing results and opinions on F-1s up north vs. Flas which my comments addressed.. There have been some successes and some failures with F-1s. In the zone you are in what you pick and the water you have could make a bigger than normal difference. I would check on the F-1 stock (get the history of the parents/brood stock). If the regular LMB parents are from your area and the Fla parents are several generations removed from south Fla then you will have a better chance of success. I would avoid F-1s with deep south parents. The more adapted to cooler climates the better. Also get northern LMB from your area not from deep south.

On the water issues check winter temp profiles. For example is the lake that had success in your area spring fed with higher winter low temps vs. your pond with no springs. Those type considerations along with fertility differences.

I would not hesitate in trying what you suggest if you get good answers to the questions above because you will have a large majority of northern LMB genes.

Last edited by ewest; 10/05/12 09:14 AM.