Elsie - Do consider the buried airline from an air compressor to the pond. If you are pushing air more than 400-600ft then consider upsizing the airline to 3/4" ID. We can push air 1000ft if everything is sized properly. If you use a rotary vane compressor then size of airline more than 400ft becomes more important, and less important with the rocking piston compressor that can operate easily more than 10 psi and push air through 5/8" ID pipe easily at 500+ft. Re-evaluate the electric compressor with buried airline before buying a windmill. A windmill is better aeration than no aeration. Buried airline can be trenched and has to be underground only 3"-6". I have seen gas distribution lines not buried as they cross a narrow, shallow creek or ditch. You might be able to slide the airline in metal pipe and pass it across the creek about a foot underground on each side of the creek bank and exposed as it passes over the water. Airline IMO should be in metal pipe during floods to prevent debris such as floating trees and logs from 'hanging up' and snagging - bending the pipe-airline. Also depending on the elevation and height of the creek bank you might be able to transverse the creek with the airline-pipe above flood waterlevel, thus the chance of debris hanging on the pipe during flooding is minimal?

Look at the links above for chooices and options for windmills. One of the big disadvantages to windmills is the maintainence of the diaphragm, bearings, and compressor which are located 16-20 ft off the ground. Greasing pivot joints is usually regular maintenance. I've seen the darn things will blow down in very strong winds. Bolts hold the windmill together and I don't think the manufacturers provide loc nuts for windmills.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/29/12 10:17 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management