For the most part, I agree with everything my friend ESSHUP has posted above.

In just the last few minutes I came in from setting a number of lines, with 6-8 in creek chub minnows on #4 and #6 circle hooks, to try and get some of the biggest channel cats out of my pond. This happens every few years. Over the last couple of weeks I've taken out four or five CC that were between 5-9 lbs. I still have several renegades that I see at feeding time that are in about the 25-35 inch category.

As I've posted a number of times, I have a real love/hate relationship with the channel cats. I doubt I'll ever quit stocking them. With age, they become very wise fish. And unfortunately, they are kind of like the real friendly dog that you love, but that roams the neighborhood and won't come home when you want, digs up your garden, sheds everywhere, and terrorizes your favorite cats and the grandkids.

On the "love" side, they grow really fast in a pond, especially if you have a feeder. They are delicious on the dinner table. In my opinion, they are a big part of what helps me produce trophy bluegill. I have nothing but years of empirical evidence, but I believe they are very similar bluegill predators to largemouth bass. From experience, they do not seem to affect LMB populations, or size, for ponds managed for big bluegill and catfish.

But, they are hard to catch when they get more than about 20 inches long. They make the pond muddy. They eat like pigs when the feeder goes off -- but worst of all, they slap their tails in defiance, rather than appreciation, when they gather a mouthful of fish pellets.

From my standpoint, I would stock them -- but not in large quantities. Maybe ten to twenty-five in the 8-12 inch category each season. However, if you do, you must harvest them the next season. Never put in more than you think you can harvest in the next season.

Good luck,
Catfish Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 09/07/12 09:11 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!