Hi all! I'm new to the forum but have been reading your threads since last spring when I started to build/renevate/expand my current pond. To give you a little background I purchased this property last spring it used to belng to my grandfather who purchased it in 1942 and raised my father and aunt as well as residing their until he passed in 1996.

Unfortunelty when I purchased the property non of the buildings including the house was worth saving. The original pond was a 1/3 acre approx 8 ft deep at the damn. My Grandad used the pond for livestock and his geese and ducks he raised. I made the pond about 1 3/4 surface acres and the deepest part is 33 feet at the damn and about 4 feet deep at the intake.

A little about the water. I worked on this pond all the way up to December 14th which was our first snowfall that amounted too much. I was in a frantic rush to complete the damn before all of our spring rains filled her up! That was a laugh, anyhow the pond is run off feed with no spring feeding it. Of course this year has not been a good year for a new pond to fill. We are currently 12 inches behind in rainfall in these parts and haven't seen much rain.

At the end of June I had 10 feet of water in the pond at the damn and with the 95 degree plus heat several days in a row you could just tell it wouldn't be long before I lost all of my 15 lbs of fatheads that I stocked in April.

Fortunelty (I hope anyways) I have a small river that borders my property and is approx 400 feet from the pond so I built an irragation system and two weeks later wa la pond filled!

I have been pumping water nearly everyday for at least two hours since July 4th weekend. Here lately its only been an hour or so because I'm assuming the pond is sealing up and the weather has cooled a bit.

Now for my problems, Due to the low water and no way to water new seed I let the weeds grow on the inside of the damn and around the sides of the pond to help it hold the soil IF we did happen to get any of the wet stuff. I figured that once the pond was full I would cut everything down and keep above the water line cleaned up. So I did, except for two things, after I cut everything down I began to get the infamus green scum. In the morning and late evening when the sun is not hitting it the water looks great! But mid day when the sun is beating on it it is like neon green and if the wind isn't blowing will cover the entire pond!

Problem #2, I figured that once I filled the pond that the weeds blow the water line would die and most did EXCEPT for one that has now began to spread and in some areas it's growing up from 10 to 15 feet deep!

I posted some pics of the scum and the weeds, I think the weeds are either Illinois Pond Weed or American but none of the pics on tuma looked exactly like what I have.

I was told by someone who I thought was experienced to put aqua shade in the pond for the green scum, I did that on Friday last week and it seemed to break up the bigger stuff and I thought it was helping until today when I stopped by around lunch time and it was covered again. I had hoped that the 2 inches of rain we got Sunday would have helped but I think it actually got worse?

The water clarity is great with at least 3 to 4 feet down and it's not merky at all. Any help would be appreciated! We're in the process of building a cabing out there and the well should be done next week so we can start the landscaping process.....I am a newby at this so help! Thanks in advance! [img:center]http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/onsiteservice/[/img]