Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice root balls (fish attractors). Good thinking on the placement. Did they all stay put or float around.

6-10 inch LMB are now 12-14s. Time to eat a few 6 in BG and 12 in LMB plus the CC.

We cut the stumps pretty close to the ground, so the majority of the root balls were just that, root balls. They came from a pretty wet area, so they were probably already waterlogged. There was a little rolling around the first day or two, but nothing moved more than a few inches.

For the most part, they are out just deep enough, and my general visibility during the warmer months is only about 15 inches, so they can't be seen. They may discourage the poachers we've dealt with in previous times. The friends who I allow to fish the pond know where not to put a hook or lure. (We still lose lunkers to the stumps now and then, but that is OK.)

We are culling regularly. This evening I've got several jug lines out with 3-4 inch bluegill, hooked near the tail, on #4 circle hooks.

The big fish I'm most currently concerned about are the HSB. I see them at the feeders every night. I haven't hooked one in over a year. I think they are now well in excess of 24 inches. I'm afraid that if I don't get some of them out of there, they will be slurping up the snapping turtles like oysters on the half-shell.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!