Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I think you and I think FAR too much alike...I really love that idea. It does provide a great chance to exercise...sell a monthly membership to work out on our farms? Fresh air, wildlife, water pumping...

That "silly idea" is reality around here. My wife and I, along with a number of friends, have been encouraged by a various groups to do something similar at our place and at friends' places.

At least here in the mid-Atlantic area, and in particular in the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding areas, it is known as "agri-tourism."

It ties closely with Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) for raising fruits, vegetables, eggs, chickens, beef, pork, etc. It is where people sign a contract to provide labor and money to make our farms viable, and to learn about food production, in exchange for a share of the products -- good, bad, or indifferent.

Just "Google" a guy down the road from us -- Joel Salatin. Or "Google" Harvey Ussery, a fairly close neighbor to RockvilleMDAngler. There are a whole lot more within about 25-50 miles of us. They've become celebrities.

It seems that sophisticated and very well educated people from Washington DC and the surrounding suburbs want to mix with those of us in our bib overalls, or pants held up with suspenders, and wearing silly hats. They seem to want to learn the Appalachian dialect that so many of my friends speak. (For instance, there ain't no word "were" in the dialect -- only "was". Like -- "you was serious?", "they was on their way to the swimmin hole" ..., etc.).

These people want to learn how to dance with us in barns on miserable snowy and icy January and February nights -- or maybe they just want to sample all the crazy foods we enjoy.

So, ...

Anybody else want to join us for a big fish fry, a little music, and lots of laughing and scratching at our place on late Saturday afternoon and evening. We'll have a number of three- and four-generation families and friends. If the weather is really going to be as bad as they predict, we'll just empty out the tractor shed and crank up the generator. Fun will be had by all generations.

Louisiana or Western Virginia/West Virginia, and all in between, is all about the same. We just have Bluegrass instead of Zydeco, Jazz, or The Blues. We enjoy friends and life. We love food other people shun. People of the city seem to want what we have. I don't want to have what they have. Been there, done that!

Quote:
Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,
Kick off your shoes and you throw ‘em on the floor.
Dance in the kitchen 'til the morning light:
Louisiana Saturday night.

Waiting in the front yard, sitting on a log;
Single shot rifle and a one-eyed dog.
Yonder come my kin folk in the moonlight:

Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow
Kick off your shoes and you throw ‘em on the floor
Dance in the kitchen 'til the morning light
Louisiana Saturday night

My brother Bill an' my other brother Jack,
Belly full o'beer and a possum in a sack.
Fifteen kids in the front porch light:
Louisiana Saturday night!

When the kinfolk leave an' the kids get fed,
Me an' my woman gonna slip off to bed.
Have a little fun when we turn out the lights!
Louisiana Saturday night!

Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,
Yeah, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,

Get down the fiddle and. you get down the bow,

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!