Yes, AL, we still are selecting and growing OTS strain coppernose bluegill on the farm. We select our best males every year and cross them with young pregnant females. We aren't breeding selectively for monster fish (although that program is likely in our future) like Condello, however, we are breeding for pure genetics. Our goal is to produce a bloodline that breeds true year after year, and matures at small size, to be exceptionally prolific as coppernose bluegill should be. Fortunately they also grow large, as coppernose bluegill should under the right conditions.

We ran into a new situation this year, however, with supplies of our OTS strain. It was a challenge for us to have in stock the hundreds of thousands of bluegill that were needed to restock across the state after recovering from the historic drought conditions. Plus we ourselves were negatively affected by the drought, which put a damper on our 2011 production. This year we contracted with a producer who was able to provide us with some of the best coppernose bluegill I've ever seen (aside from my own OTS strain) in order to fill gaps in my supply. I was hesitant to do this, so I examined these fish closely before offering them to my customers. They display the copper banding and definite yellow tipping on the caudal fin. Without a trained eye you will likely not be able to tell these from our OTS genetics.

So if you purchased Coppernose Bluegill from us this year then YES they were good coppernose genetics, but may or may not have been our OTS strain. I want to make it very clear that I make it a point to be honest with my clientele. So if you ask then I will tell you what they are, and if you request OTS only, then that will be what you get.

It's ALL about the fish!