Hello all,
Being new to the pond world I feel lucky to have stumbled across this forum.I'm not sure if I am posting in the right section but I suppose I will be directed elsewhere if not. I dug a small pond about three months ago and I have been overwhelmed with information since. Pond size is 17' long by 5' wide with an average depth of around 4'. The pond is fed from an underground spring and took about a day and a half to fill up. My primary goal was to have a place for my pet ducks to swim and my wife and I to sit and watch them. I currently have an aerator running 24/7 as well as 4 koi and a few dozen japanese trapdoor snails. Water quality seems okay but I would like to create a more naturaly healthy underwater environment. I have tried floating plants but the ducks destroy them in short order. I guess I have two main questions I would like opinions on: Given my ponds size is there any type of feeder fish I can or should introduce ? Is there any type of underwater plant I can put in? I can't put shallow water plants because the pond has no parts less than three feet.
Thanks for any thoughts as long as they don't involve putting lead in the ducks