Want to see if I can get some recommendations for this project.

It involves a two-acre pond built sometime in the '70s. It's on the property of a non-profit family campground and I'm helping kick the fishing up to the next level (at least that's our hope), and make some hot spots that the kids can target, etc.

We'd like to map the bottom of it so we know just what we're dealing with and do some planning. There are rumors that it is 30 feet deep in one spot but no one who was involved in building it is still around to ask.

We can drop a marked rope at points on a grid, but surely there must be an easier way...with a fish-finder or something? I don't have any experience with anything along this line. I experimented on my back yard, using a GPS land-survey app on my Android to plot grid points, but it did not give me reliable enough accuracy (points that were plotted in straight lines on the ground were not straight on the map, for instance). This project doesn't really require tight accuracy, but I was hoping for at least a little more than I was getting.

Anybody have any experience with something like this?