I'm not a big fan of ponds that are solely bass and bluegill. I like having more diversity than that.

I agree that the first order of business is removing bass from the pond. It is most likely that the cause of large numbers of small bass is overpopulation of bass. When this happens you usually have enormous bluegill in the pond. When bass are stunted at a certain size they give bluegill a chance to "grow to freedom". Once the gill hits a certain size they are no longer forage for any bass in the pond. I would recommend removing every large male gill that you catch. Smaller males will breed just as well and they take up less resources in the pond.

While you are getting your bass and bluegill population in order you should also be installing structure and vegetation that will support the forage fish that you need to add to the pond. Rock piles, cinder blocks, corkscrew eelgrass, pondweed and what not all have their place.

I would also consider another option. I know that I don't have the resources to buy large numbers of enormous forage fish. I would probably set up a grow out system for forage fish. I would a large number of small fish and grow them to the right size myself.

If you have the correct structure all of these forage species are great in your area:

Bluntnose minnows
Golden shiners
Lake chubsuckers
Mississippi Grass Shrimp
Papershell Crayfish

I would also consider stocking tilapia during the first spring after you get your fish population down to where you want it (if legal in your state?). Don't be afraid to stock them on the high end of the density scale. Tilapia add pounds and pounds and pounds of forage to your pond. This will give your bass more to eat and take some of the predation off of the bluegill. Then when you tilapia die off in the fall your bass will have plenty of bluegill to eat.

You may also want to stock a small number of larger redear sunfish to try to get a small population in place for snail control duty.

This is the hardest order to do things in LOL. Whenever I plan out what I would stock in a pond in a certain climate I always always always add the bluegill and bass LAST. Here the pond is full of them and there are no other forage species in the water yet LOL.