Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm undecided on what kind of fish to stock. Being a typical midwest farmboy I tend to think of BG, LMB, Crapie, and Catfish for a little "fishin hole". And of course minnows. But after reading many, many, many posts here and reading some books at the library I may be changing my mind. The local birds may provide some species of aquatic life that I cannot immediately control - so, who knows?

My goal is to have a place for the grandkids to fish and swim when they come to visit. Also, since I'm an outdoors type of guy and I love nature, it will be nice to have a place on our own property to sit and observe wildlife of all sorts.

There are thousands of farm ponds here in our neck of Indiana and I don't think people around here NEED another little fishing spot. So I have been considering the purchase of several cane poles for the kids to use and not allowing any type of rods-n-reels, lures, or live bait (other than worms) near my pond. My compost piles are teeming with earthworms so bait may not be an issue.

At the rate that my pond if filling I have time to learn more about pond maintenance and what kind of fish to have here. I'm curious to see if anybody here has bluegill-only ponds. Or if species diversity is important.

I got lots to learn,
LCH

Last edited by Elsie H; 04/17/12 04:09 AM.

Thanks,
LCH