Originally Posted By: JKB
200 to 300 microns - were going back a very long time!

I'm not sure I'm following. Why would it be a bad idea to screen the larger particles out before going into the main filters? I expect it would decrease the frequency with which you would have to clean the main filter media.

Sorry if these are stupid questions... I just saw it in action and though; Wow, that would be easier to clean than the filter media inside of a barrel (hopefully effectively decreasing the frequency with which the barrel filter must be torn apart and sprayed out).

Edit: Just to be clear, I would never spend a grand on a glorified screen and barrel but I would be willing to make one with some cheaper nylon mesh, barrel, Lexan, and aquarium silicon for $150-200 or so if it made the system more maintainable.

Edit2: While his design has some flaws, I can appreciate the cleanliness of his fabrication. I don't know why he is using aquariums which are probably about the most expensive kind of tank you can get but I like his use of IBCs which is something I have been considering as well.

Last edited by DMRBG; 03/18/12 02:49 PM.