Scott -- that's embarrassing. You are absolutely right. Plus she was full of eggs.

TJ - I couldn't identify what was in her stomach. It was dark grey mush. I have absolutely no idea how old she might have been. There were a few RES in the pond when we bought it seven years ago. I attempted to cage raise a 100 2-inch RES in the pond about 3-4 years ago, but they all escaped. I don't know if any of them survived the bass luncheon party that day.

Sunil -- the filets are vacuum packed and in the freezer. Each skinned filet was 6-7 oz. We would normally have served one up like this tonight, but there is a turkey and oyster all-you-can eat dinner at a church just down the road tonight.

Spinnerbait -- I think I was wrong about the grub. It may have been a seed or something that was stuck there. Most of us put RES in our ponds to control grubs, and I don't remember seeing grubs in other RES. The RES eat the snails that grow because of waterbirds pooping them out. The snail larva invades the skin of bass and bluegill, and I'm sure other fish. Some are "yellow grubs", some are "white grubs" and some show up like pepper in the flesh, and are known as "black spot." The white and yellow grubs are harmless to humans, but some people are squeamish about eating fish that have them. When fish have them, the grubs are small 1/4-inch worms that can be seen on the fins and in the flesh of filets.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!