Originally Posted By: ewest
Different species have vastly different requirements for proper nutrition. That was a topic at the last PB Conf. Unless a species has a large aquaculture following like Trout then manufacturers don't want to make a food specilized for that species. That is why we have generalized feeds like most on the market. The exception is special trout feeds , Aqua Max carnivore feeds (400 , 500 ,600 etc) and Aqua max LMB pellets for LMB (also works good for bigger HSB).

The Centrarchidae food options is not as demanding due to the lack of growers, breeders, and private owners as you have mentioned. However, it doesn't mean that there's no manufacturer designed formulation for the species without proper scientifically approaching it. Look for producer that incorporate krill-shrimp meals into the soft/hard pellets for exotic aquarium fishes. An example is this site. They carry brands from companies that actually infused deep ocean krills and shrimps, rather than pushing for fillers and binders, with high loads of proper proteins. Reformulation can be done quite easily on your own based on your requirements. Like I said, it doesn't take much to make your own feeds. It's about how diligent you want to be in raising your own ultimate fishes. I would love to share my info and experiment with you to find that specific tailored ratio. I wish I can attend the PB Conference I received in the mail, but work and family here restrict me from traveling too far.

It would be nice to get a summary of the conference so I can get into the nitty gritty details. I will be graced by your elite group one day..one day..I think I will bore you all to death with my questions as I thirst for more knowledge.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.