Let's kick this up a notch. Homemade floating meals that is a fraction of the commercial brand. Bruce got me running numbers and roaming through my old notes after seeing some online data that doesn't agree with me. Can someone chime in with me on this so I can crunch in data based on your response?

Let's take Purina AquaMax product, especially the Large Mouth formulation. Let's say you're using a small pond, trying to start a aquaculture for experimentation and cultivation for resale of your breeding, with the pond size of 1/2 acre (or what's the minimum size recommended?), with a min/max number of species feeding on the same pellets. A few conditions required for the pellets that you may want:

1. Protein levels allow optimal size in muscles development, minus fatty liver issue, and lack of stamina due to obesity.
2. Proper level of fiber and calcium for maximal body integrity.
3. Feeding frenzy during pellet introduction, based on attractant(s) incorporation into the pellet. Higher attractant(s) levels will induce verocious feeding behaviors.
4. Continual floating of the pellets until pellets fully disperse.

Purina probably have a team of creators and testers behind their work benches, but are they utilizing the highest quality/optimal ingredients and practicality in their products while charging the big bucks for the bags? $32/40lb bag?! How long would that last in a pond with so many mouths to feed?

Crude protein (min.)45.00%
Crude fat (min.)10.00%
Crude fiber (max.) 3.00%
Sodium (Na) (actual) 0.40%
Calcium (Ca) (min) 1.60%
Calcium (Ca) (max) 2.10%
Phosphorus (P) (actual)1.00%
Sodium ( Na)(min)0.10%
Sodium (MNa)(max)0.60%
Ash (Max) 10.00%

Ingredients :

Fish Meal, poultry by-product meal, dehulled soybean meal, ground wheat flour, spray dried animal blood cells, corn gluten meal,fish oil (LS), ground corn,pyridoxine hydrochloride, choline chloride, lecithin, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement,niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, ethoxyquin (a preservative), zinc oxide, vitamin B-12 supplement, manganous oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, calcium carbonate, cobalt carbonate.

Wow. You're paying all of these for your aquaculture to gulp down on?! Slap me if I'm missing something.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.