I manage a beyond-the-state-of-the-art facility that employs some of the smartest people on the globe. Yet, going shopping can sure make one feel dumber than a rock.

I've got about 50 lbs. of ground "cured" and seasoned meat ready to be packed into casings for various kinds of smoked sausage and snacks. I'm short on hog rings, and the string I have unravels so badly, it is hard to tie off sausage links.

I was in seven different stores this evening looking for string and/or hog rings. Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- knew what a hog ring was! Not one single store had string.

The first store I went into was a "big box" outdoor outfitter store. I couldn't find either. I saw a guy about my age at a checkout row who had some sausage casings in his hand. I asked him if he knew were I could find hog rings and string. He pointed me in the right direction. I got there, and the "helpers" had no idea what I was talking about. I found the holders for "3/8-inch hog rings" and for "Sausage String." I was told "we don't usually stock those items"!!!! She led me to a display of tape!

It all went down hill from there. Does anybody know what I'm talking about when I ask for string or hog rings? Does anybody remember what a telephone dial sounds like going backward? Does anybody know what a TV tuner sounded like before remote controls?

The Old Curmudgeon.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!