Scott, that's what I figured. A quick, clean takedown is paramount, whether it be a deer in the woods, or an angus heifer in the feedlot of the processor's. If you're planning on eating it, you need to drop it properly and humanely.

I was just wondering if anyone ate, and enjoyed, deer by itself, without it being turned into something else first. When we used to take our own beef in, I couldn't wait to eat it, and looked forward to it. I hear folks say that about deer, but then I find out it was turned into sausage, or mixed with ground beef. To me, that's using the deer as a "filler", like adding breadcrumbs, or oats to a meatloaf. If I have to disguise the flavor to get it down, then it's probably not meat that my tastebuds would approve of.

On the other hand, were I to try deer MY way, then I would treat it like beef. The spoils of my hunt could be carried out slung over my shoulder, and would probably have milk on it's lips. And no, my family's situation certainly doesn't require that I rush out and take one, so I won't be doing that. I was just wondering if anyone here enjoyed the taste of deer steak, and if so, how they prepared it.

Sniper, now you're talking my language. So you eat, and enjoy venison cuts? If you're going to eat deer in that manner, is there a size of deer you prefer to shoot? As I stated, I tend to believe that a trophy wall hanger would not be my animal of choice for the table. I find that applies to most any animal, especially wild game.

I need to try some YOUNG deer steaks. I don't need 50 lbs. of summer sausage.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.