doddbldr2 - Feed ring in deeper water is relative to your conditions. I and my fish feeding friends have docks so the ring is positioned out in front of the dock that extends out from shore. Water depth will then depend on pond bank slope and how far the ring is away from shore. By "deeper water" I meant anything away from shore 2'-4' usu. w/out a dock and 4' to 8' deep w/ a dock.

Initial Feeding. Yes, start a new feeding program with only a hand-full of pellets placed into the ring. Do not add more until all food is eaten. Feed at the same time each day. Fish mey initially eat the food after you leave and it soaks up water & softens a bit. It may take several days to a week to get the fish accustomed to associating you with food. Fish are creatures of habit and will soon learn when it is feeding time.

I personally prefer Purina Aquamax 400 (1/8"), 500 (3/16"), or 600 (1/4") for carnivours (blue-bag & 19.95/50lbs). This does a couple of things for me that the cheaper food does not do. 1. If you plan to feed canivorus fish, Aquamax (blue bag)or Trout Chow is almost a necessity. Carnivours require high protein for good health. 2. It has fish meal in it and higher protein (41% vs 32%)than cheaper Purina or Other brands of food and w/ fish meal and flavor enhancers in it, it tastes better to the fish. My experience shows more fish will learn to accept the higher protein pellets than with the cheaper feeds. Numerous bass will often learn to eat the high protein fish additive pellets. 3. Aquamax blue-bag will hold its consistancy when coated/soaked with a little water. Abt. 1/2 c water to 1 qt pellets and shaken till all water is absorbed. Allowed to stand 1-2 hr. Now the pellets can be rolled, pinched or molded into softened balls and many hesitant fish will accept this form of food. Larger pellets for big fish can be made by molding several pellets together. Small fish can eat a larger pellet that has been softened. Many fish reject the hard pellets due to texture. Soften the food, make it similar texture to other live things fish eat and now they will learn quicker and easier to eat pellets.

Many pondmeisters feed the Pruina Pond Chow (32%)because it has several sizes of pellets which is fine esp if one wants to feed several sizes of fish & does not have time to presoften the food. Plus the P. Pond Chow is less expensive. Less expensive is good if you are feeding hundreds of pounds of pellets each year. Hwever if you buy Aquamax (blue-bag) it can be bought in several sizes of pellets and then blended to your own feed size mixture.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management